At Best Pick Reports, we want to ensure we are providing our members with the best experience. We do not want our qualification to happen behind a curtain. Our research method is specifically designed to avoid picking and choosing so that authentic feedback is collected from homeowners who have used your company and companies like yours. All feedback is valuable, regardless of which question was asked or what the official purpose was for asking it. The best part is that once feedback is collected, we can then help you share it across multiple platforms, including our Business Performance Center.
Best Pick Reports has a hard-earned reputation as a publication homeowners can trust, and we work tirelessly to maintain that reputation. Our qualification scoring system ensures that Best Pick companies have been fully vetted based on a fair, easy-to-understand, and thorough surveying process. We stand behind all of our Best Picks as being quality contractors whose customers rave about them.
How do we qualify companies?
We qualify companies based on an average of all questions asked in a survey. These include:
- Likely to Recommend
- Quality of Materials
- Quality of Workmanship
- Overall Value
- Professionalism and Organization
If 85% of the responses to all of these questions are positive (4 or 5 stars on a scale of 1 to 5) for a company overall AND within that category, the company will qualify. We call this our Overall Satisfaction score.
The scores published in our print publications and on bestpickreports.com are based on the Overall Satisfaction score. We use the following scale to determine star rating for each review:
- 5 = 90+
- 4 = 70 to 89.9
- 3 = 40 to 69.9
- 2 = 10 to 39.9
- 1 = 9.9 and below
We use the past three years’ worth of data to qualify. We define a “year” as a calendar year, but we add the last four months leading up to our Spring books. (Note: Our Fall 2020 books will include data going back to January 2017.) This data will NOT be weighted, so regardless of when a survey was completed during that time period, it will count equally toward a company’s final score. We call this flat three-year scoring.
We consider ALL survey data gathered by GuildQuality for Best Pick candidates, as long as it falls within our three-year time frame. This means that all customer feedback, whether or not it was obtained as part of a qualification surveying campaign, will count toward a company’s score.
In an effort to minimize the disparity between the amount of data we have for candidates receiving qualification surveying only and candidates who conduct ongoing surveying through GuildQuality, we have increased the amount of qualification surveying we conduct for all candidates.
- Members’ qualification status will be determined throughout the year; members will be informed of their status by a BPR representative.
- All members will be eligible for continued surveying after qualification status has been determined. This continued surveying will be conducted via not-yet-exhausted batches of customer names, Best Pick Reports follow-up surveying, and GuildQuality membership.
- Members will not risk becoming disqualified through any continued surveying after qualification status has been announced.
- If a member has reached a DNQ (did not qualify) status, they will not be given the option to become a GuildQuality member for the sole purpose of requalifying within the same book year; however, becoming a GuildQuality member can help the company qualify in the next book year.
- All members must supply a list of all homeowners who have completed work within the stated time frame. The list must meet our minimum date requirements. Your Member Success Manager or Sales Representative will reach out to you as soon as your data is received if the minimum threshold is not met.
- This minimum is not acceptable if the member has more eligible homeowner names to offer.
- Members are required to include job attribution (line of work) information on their names list.
- Members who did not qualify in the most recent book year are treated as new members even if they qualified in a previous book year.
Our number of required responses
We require at least 25 completed surveys per category for the first year that your company is a Best Pick candidate and at least 15 completed surveys per category for each following year.
Please reach out to your Support Representative or Member Success Manager for additional questions.